People are getting more aware of shoulder problems. One of the most common shoulder problems is shoulder instability and affects the young and active population more when compared with other categories of the population.
Understanding about the shoulder joint & shoulder instability in depth
This ball and socket joint is complex, mobile and allows movement in 3 planes (frontal, sagittal, and transverse) along with rotational movement as well. It facilitates the movement of the arm in 360 degrees. The glenoid cavity is shallow when compared to the humeral head. Although many tissues and ligaments surround this glenohumeral joint for a stable and smooth functionality, but the joint capsule is somewhat lax. The range of motion of the shoulder joint is facilitated by secondary movements from dynamic & synchronized articulation present at 4 different joints
The medical condition that is known as ‘shoulder instability’ refers to the inability to sustain the ball of the joint intact in its socket. It happens due to the disruption of the integrity of the regular anatomy of the joint. You may feel like your shoulder is slipping from its location while moving the arm.
A well-planned exercise regimen can be useful in optimizing the functioning of your shoulder joint. But remember to consider an expert’s advice before starting this exercise program.
The 3-segment homely way for treating unstable shoulders
Segment 1: Exercises to prevent the popping out of the joint
The initial segment of the exercise program focuses on avoiding the popping out of the joint.
To perform such exercises, you may need help from others who can place their hands on the joint to maintain its placement. Try to move your arm slowly in different directions till the extent of not popping out of the place
Segment 2: Strengthen the rotator cuff & Deltoid
This segment of the reconditioning program focuses on the strengthening of the rotator cuff muscles by working against the resistance in the anterior-posterior rotation. It is crucial for your shoulder to have strength as well as endurance of internal & external rotation and hence should perform some exercises targeting the rotator cuff.
- Hold your hands in front and pull the arm of the affected shoulder in towards the other side of the shoulder in the inward direction. Then move your arm in the outward direction slowly.
- Take an elastic band and fix it on a wall. Pull the band in inwards direction. Repeat it 3-5 times. Then hold the band in your hands in the front and try to stretch it as much possible. Repeat this movement 3-5 times.
- Take an object for weight like a small bottle filled with water and lie down. Hold the bottle in the affected arm and move your arm in the sideways direction. Repeat it for 5-8 times.
Segment 3: Train the scapular muscles
Usually, if your scapula is weak or loose, then it becomes unstable and the prime objective of this segment is to strengthen it and eliminate some problems that may have emerged due to lack of reconditioning and synchrony.
- Lie down straight and hold any object with your both hands and lift your hands straight up. Place your hands closer to each other and hold this posture for 5 seconds. Then repeat this exercise with a long object like a stick so that you can place your hands apart while holding it.
- Lie down and lift a small bottle filled with water at 90 degrees angle from your affected shoulder. Repeat this movement 5-8 times. Then, lie on a couch to elevate your back. Now perform the same movements so that your arm is lifted in more than 90 degrees. You can even perform it standing position.
- Take a bottle and lift it in the in-out direction slowly. Repeat it 8-10 times.
- Take an elastic band and place it under your foot of opposite side (it mean under left foot when performing the exercise with the right arm and vice-versa). Try to stretch the band by moving your arm in outwards direction.
- Do some cycling and aerobics every day to improve the endurance of your shoulder joint.
Moreover, never miss medical help and consult a shoulder specialist for the treatment of shoulder instability. In case if you are looking for a shoulder specialist in Gurgaon, then you can consult Dr. Reetadyuti Mukhopadhyay. He has treated many complex shoulder problems with effectiveness.